Locations in The Goonies movie are located throughout Cannon Beach and Astoria.
Whether your upcoming Cannon Beach getaway is your first or fifth time visiting this Oregon town, there is always something new to discover. Situated just south of downtown, Tolovana Inn is not only a relaxing place to call home, but it puts you near the top activities and attractions. Some of these spots might be familiar for movie fans. A fun and unique way to explore the sights of Cannon Beach and the surrounding area is by mapping out a self-guided tour of The Goonies filming locations, starting in nearby Astoria.
A Guide to Creating a Self-Guided Filming Tour
Released in 1985, The Goonies follows a group of kids who find an ancient map and the adventures on their journey to find the long-lost treasure. A majority of the filming took place in Astoria and Cannon Beach, which means you can see these classic movie locations in real life.
We recommend starting your tour by making the 40-minute drive to Astoria then working your way back to our Cannon Beach hotel.
- One of the most well-known attractions is Mikey’s house. This spot is a private residence, so be respectful of the owners’ wishes when visiting and do not drive up the driveway. There is no street parking near the house, so you’ll need to park a few blocks away and walk to get your photo.
- Another popular attraction is the County Jail on Duane Street. Today, the old jail is the Oregon Film Museum and showcases television and films produced or filmed in Oregon.
- Go on a self-guided tour of the Flavel House Museum, where Mikey’s dad worked as a curator, and the kids biked past in on their treasure hunt.
- Several scenes featuring the Oregon coast were filmed at Ecola State Park. This park is where the movie’s villains had their hideout and the start of the kids’ treasure hunt. The actual hideout was built for the film and then taken down, but you can see a small building where the hideout once stood.
- One of the most recognizable attractions in Cannon Beach also makes an appearance in the movie. The kids use Haystack Rock to navigate the map, and a trip to Cannon Beach isn’t complete without stopping by to get a photo of this well-known landmark.
Make Memories Wandering around the Oregon Coast
It’s not hard to find fun things to add to your itinerary when planning your stay at Tolovana Inn. From discovering filming locations from The Goonies to wandering downtown Cannon Beach, there is something for everyone.
Our resort features spacious rooms and suites that provide you with a cozy and relaxing place to call home. Each studio and suite comes with all the comforts of home, including a fully equipped kitchen, private balcony, fireplace, and living room. Call 503-436-2211 to learn more about booking your accommodation or how to save on your stay.
Find unique holidays gifts at the distinctive boutiques and shops in Cannon Beach.
People often say that it’s better to give than to receive, and that’s especially true during the holiday season. Exchanging gifts is a fun way to show those you care about that you were thinking of them, and seeing their reactions as they unwrap something you spent time picking out is always enjoyable. Instead of relying on gifts shipping on time this holiday season, book a stay at Tolovana Inn and shop for one-of-a-kind gifts at Cannon Beach shops.
A Guide to Amazing Holiday Shopping in Cannon Beach
When exploring the stores found throughout Cannon Beach, you’ll soon realize there are no retail chain outlets. Because of this, you know your gifts are as unique and individual as the people you are shopping for. From boutiques to gift shops, you’ll be to get something for everyone on your list.
- If you’re looking for the latest styles, visit Jenny B. Boutique. You’ll find everything from accessories, to pants and tops, to cozy sweaters and jackets. Another excellent option for women’s fashion is Dena’s Shop on the Corner, which features casual luxury and timeless pieces.
- For the outdoor lovers on your list, check out C & R Mercantile or Cannon Beach Surf & Mercantile for a range of outdoor clothing and gear.
- When it comes to filling the stockings, include a sweet homemade treat. Bruce’s Candy Kitchen is known for its delicious saltwater taffy and brittles. Cannon Beach Chocolate Cafe will satisfy the chocolate lovers on your list with its range of top-quality truffles.
- A great gift idea from your children to family members like grandparents is something with a personal touch, and A Child’s Play can help with that. This studio offers a variety of project kits like painting a canvas or pot, making a wind chime, and more.
- You can’t go holiday shopping in Cannon Beach and not stop by Yultide’s Christmas Shop. Find unique ornaments, figurines, decor, and more. They even have fantastic gift ideas as well.
With so many shops to explore, you’ll want to leave an entire day on your itinerary open. Celebrate Plaid Friday, Cannon Beach’s spin on Black Friday, by wearing plaid to show your support for local business.
Shop Small with a Cannon Beach Getaway
A stay at Tolovana Inn is not only a great way to enjoy a bit of R&R, but it’s also a fantastic time to do a bit of holiday shopping. Our Oregon coast resort puts you close to all of the unique and unforgettable shops found throughout Cannon Beach while giving you a comfortable room to call home. After a day filled with wandering in and out of shops, relax by your fireplace or in the sauna. Call 503-436-2211 to learn more about our accommodations and booking your shopping getaway. Be sure to ask about our current special offers or packages.
Indoor Salt Water Pool