Locations in The Goonies movie are located throughout Cannon Beach and Astoria.
Whether your upcoming Cannon Beach getaway is your first or fifth time visiting this Oregon town, there is always something new to discover. Situated just south of downtown, Tolovana Inn is not only a relaxing place to call home, but it puts you near the top activities and attractions. Some of these spots might be familiar for movie fans. A fun and unique way to explore the sights of Cannon Beach and the surrounding area is by mapping out a self-guided tour of The Goonies filming locations, starting in nearby Astoria.
A Guide to Creating a Self-Guided Filming Tour
Released in 1985, The Goonies follows a group of kids who find an ancient map and the adventures on their journey to find the long-lost treasure. A majority of the filming took place in Astoria and Cannon Beach, which means you can see these classic movie locations in real life.
- One of the most well-known attractions is Mikey’s house. This spot is a private residence, so be respectful of the owners’ wishes when visiting and do not drive up the driveway. There is no street parking near the house, so you’ll need to park a few blocks away and walk to get your photo.
- Another popular attraction is the County Jail on Duane Street. Today, the old jail is the Oregon Film Museum and showcases television and films produced or filmed in Oregon.
- Go on a self-guided tour of the Flavel House Museum, where Mikey’s dad worked as a curator, and the kids biked past in on their treasure hunt.
- Several scenes featuring the Oregon coast were filmed at Ecola State Park. This park is where the movie’s villains had their hideout and the start of the kids’ treasure hunt. The actual hideout was built for the film and then taken down, but you can see a small building where the hideout once stood.
- One of the most recognizable attractions in Cannon Beach also makes an appearance in the movie. The kids use Haystack Rock to navigate the map, and a trip to Cannon Beach isn’t complete without stopping by to get a photo of this well-known landmark.
Make Memories Wandering around the Oregon Coast
It’s not hard to find fun things to add to your itinerary when planning your stay at Tolovana Inn. From discovering filming locations from The Goonies to wandering downtown Cannon Beach, there is something for everyone.
Our resort features spacious rooms and suites that provide you with a cozy and relaxing place to call home. Each studio and suite comes with all the comforts of home, including a fully equipped kitchen, private balcony, fireplace, and living room. Call 503-436-2211 to learn more about booking your accommodation or how to save on your stay.