Hiking the changing autumn landscape on the Oregon coast
Summer is often thought of as the top season for vacations, and while this may be true for families, there is no limit to when you can pack your bags and head out on a memorable getaway. Autumn in Oregon is the perfect time of year for outdoor enthusiasts to explore the stunning landscape as it undergoes a dramatic change. Sitting on the coast, Tolovana Inn in Cannon Beach is the perfect home base for your fall escape.
What to Do During a Fall Getaway
There is a period in the Pacific Northwest known as the “magic season,” and most of fall lands in this season. With summer crowds returning home and temperatures cooling down, this is an ideal time to visit Cannon Beach if you’re hoping to spend most of your time outdoors.
- Watch a Pacific storm roll in. The sandy beach right behind the hotel is perfect for this experience, but be sure you stay safe by reading up on some beach safety tips.
- After the storms have passed, wander the beach on a beachcombing adventure. The high tides and strong winds of seasonal storms can uncover several treasures.
- See if you can spot the herds of Roosevelt Elk that make their presence known when summer crowds leave. Visit the meadows in Ecola State Park at dawn or dusk to see if you can catch a glimpse of these animals.
- Do a bit of bird watching to see what species you can spot as they migrate the Pacific flyway. Keep your eyes open for sooty shearwaters as you stand out on a bluff or a Townsend’s warbler at the Cannon Beach settling pond.
- Hit up an area hiking trail or nearby state park to enjoy a leaf-peeping outing. The Oregon coast gets its fall hues in mid to late October, but the best way to see where the change is by checking a foliage report.
Escape the Crowds with a Fall Stay at Tolovana Inn
Not only does planning an autumn getaway to Cannon Beach, Oregon, mean you’ll avoid the summer crowds, but you can also often experience lower room rates. At Tolovana Inn, we’re committed to providing you with the best stay possible, no matter the time of year.
Enjoy the comforts of home by reserving a studio or suite, which come with a living room, cozy fireplace, and full kitchen. Make the most out of your stay by taking advantage of our on-site amenities, including an indoor pool, fitness center, and complimentary morning coffee. To learn more about our accommodations or special offers, call 503-436-2211.
Situated right on the shoreline in Cannon Beach, Tolovana Inn is the ideal location for anyone looking to enjoy the beauty of Oregon’s coast. As one of the state’s favorite beach communities, everyone from families to couples will have fun discovering all there is to do and see throughout town. Thanks to its coastal location, there are plenty of activities to enjoy in or near the water. However, before setting off on your adventure, it’s important to understand the tides in Cannon Beach.
How Changing Tides Can Affect Your Outing
Something as simple as the changing tides may not seem like a big deal, but it can significantly impact activities. The moon’s gravitational pull causes sea levels to change by advancing and retreating along the shoreline. If the water is as high up the shore as it’ll go, this is called high tide. Low tide is when the water recedes as far as it’ll go.
There are generally two high tides and two low tides a day. However, these occurrences don’t happen at the same time each day, so it’s essential to check a tide table before heading out on your excursion. Knowing when the tide is coming and going means you can decide the best time to head out on your coastal adventure.
- For the best surfing, go between high and low tide
- The hour before and after high and low tide, known as slack tide, is the best for swimming
- Anglers will want to cast their lines about an hour before low tide, known as falling tide
- If you want to go beachcombing, set out about two to three hours before low tide
One of the most well-known landmarks in the area, Haystack Rock, is surrounded by tide pools. Exploring these sites is one of the most unique things you can do on vacation and is best done right before low tide. You might just see everything from sea stars to anemones and other marine creatures.
Unwind after Exploring the Pacific Northwest Coastline
No matter where your Cannon Beach outing takes you, like exploring tide pools during low tides or discovering The Goonies filming locations, rest easy knowing you have a cozy place to call home. Booking your getaway to Tolovana Inn means staying at an incredible resort right on the ocean.
Our accommodations range from rooms to suites, so we can host groups of all sizes. We even have a limited number of pet-friendly suites if you’re wanting to bring your four-legged friends along. Before turning in for the night, enjoy a night under the stars at the beach fire pits or get a quick workout in at the fitness center. For more information about the resort or special offers, call 503-436-2211.